Thursday, June 21, 2012

Comfort food, elevated


Today, I wanted something warm, comforting and familiar, but still packed with interesting flavors.  While I openly admit that this isn't my most well presented dish, it was certainly delicious and hit on all the notes I was looking for in my lunch.  I started with 1/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill Grits prepared in 1 cup of boiling water with a pinch each of salt, pepper and herbs de provence and 1 teaspoon of truffle oil.  Make sure you season your water before it comes to a boil, otherwise your grits won't pick of the flavor.  Sauté 2 cloves of roasted garlic and 2 tablespoons of minced fresh shallots in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (I used an organic butter infused olive oil from the Boston Olive Oil Company and it worked beautifully) until they're caramelized.  Add them to your grits and continue stirring.  In the pan you used to cook your garlic and shallots, add one large egg, cooked to your liking.  

I'm going to segway for a moment to the importance of cooking with good eggs.  If you can, always use local eggs.  The fresher they are, the fluffier the whites and the bigger and more unctuous the yolks will be.  There are plenty of places on your grocery list to save, splurge on good eggs.  

I prefer an over easy egg over my grits, that way the warm liquid yolk pours over the creamy grits and creates an amazingly silk texture.  Just before your egg is done cooking, crisp a slice of pancetta or capicola in the pan to create a salty chip.  Layer it in your bowl and top with your crisp and chopped scallions.  



No comments:

Post a Comment